Blogging is fun; admit it. But while you are having fun writing blogs about world-changing ideas, you cannot ignore the daunting task of generating traffic for your blog. We will show you how to generate traffic from social media, and not just any traffic but high-intent visitors.
Social Media is an essential part of your overall marketing strategy for your blog. With around 2 Billion people on Facebook, you can be the next Shoutmeloud or Neil Patel. You just need to pull the right plugs to generate enormous traffic for your blog through Social Media Marketing by scheduling them with a proper social media scheduler like RecurPost.
We understand the importance of Social Media as a tool for growing your blog audience. After weeks of research, we have created this comprehensive guide to generate traffic for your blog from Social Media.
This guide has been divided into 5 parts:
- Identify your target readers by Creating Buyer Personas
- What Social Media Networks do your buyer personas use?
- How to plan your content libraries for each Social Media Platform?
- Schedule your content libraries and automate your re-posting for maximizing traffic on your blog
- Analyze user behavior, identify best-performing content, optimize and repeat
Identify your target readers by Creating Buyer Personas
Before starting any social media marketing or sales campaign, it is very important for you to know your target readers. This applies to all kind of bloggers on the web; below are some examples that explains it well:
- TechCrunch Target Readers would include Computer Science Students, Startup Founders, Employees in Startups, Software Developers, IT Consultants, Venture Capitalists, Angel Investors, and Tech Enthusiasts.
- Hubspot’s Blog Target Readers would be Digital Marketing Agencies, Marketing Experts & Consultants, Social Media Managers, SEO Experts, Sales Managers, and many others with a background in marketing or sales.
I think you get my point.
To identify and target a specific group of people, it is important for us to know a great deal about them than just their job title. We use buyer personas to create detailed profiles of our target readers.
According to Hubspot, A buyer persona is a semi-fictional representation of your ideal customer based on market research and real data about your existing customers. When creating your buyer persona(s), consider including customer demographics, behavior patterns, motivations, and goals.
Now that we know what a buyer persona is, how do we create one?
It’s easy! Since the dot com boom, there are many tech companies who provide very detailed guidelines to create a buyer persona.
All these tech behemoths will ask you to follow this 5-step method to create buyer personas for your blog:
- Identify the information you need and find out people/resources to collect it
- Research on Social Media Platforms Marketing (Facebook Audience Network)
- Analyze and Draw Conclusions from the data
- Create your buyer personas using a template
- Use your buyer persona to create blogs that solve their problems
FlypChart has explained the process of creating a buyer persona for your blog in detail. You can refer to it here
Identify the right networks to generate traffic from social media
There are so many social media sites on the web today, and it has become very important for bloggers to know which Social Media Networks are used by their buyer personas.
From our research, the social media sites that send the most traffic to blogs in general are:
If your blog post is more geared around professional readers and business you might have more potential traffic from LinkedIn and
Google+ (RIP Google+). If your target reader is more visual it might make more sense to focus exclusively on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.
How do you identify the right Social Media Network to share your blog?
Social Listening will help you to identify the top social media networks that are generating traffic for blogs in your genre. There are tons of Social Media Listening Tools in the market, we find Talkwalker one of the best tools to get out job done.
Once you start getting traffic from social networks you’ll be able to analyze the traffic to determine if your target reader is visiting your blog.
In your social media post analytics, watch bounce rates on your posts. Segment out traffic from social media networks. You’ll be able to determine if traffic from certain networks provide better traffic than others.
How to create content strategy to generate traffic from social media?
Now that you have identified the right kind of Social Media Networks, it is time to understand what kind of content works on different social media platforms.
Not all content needs to be shared everywhere. And not all content is suitable for every social media platform. To focus on the audience you have to post the right content at the right time to attract more users.
If you look closely at your Instagram and Twitter Accounts, you’ll notice that the content on both platforms is entirely different.
Again, after researching the web, we have found these general guidelines for deciding the type of content for each social media platform:
Facebook: Videos and curated content
Buzzsumo analyzed 68 million Facebook posts and found that a similar trend: videos have higher average engagement than images and links. After videos, blog posts and curated content should be a part of your content mix/ Apart from sharing your blog posts, you should also curate high-quality content from third-party Pages and sites.
Content libraries for facebook:
- Curated Content: You can use RSS Feeds to extract content from your preferred sources directly into the library. Check this video tutorial – How to add RSS Feed in RecurPost
- Blog Posts: Include all your blog posts in this library through RSS or manually. Check out this video on How to add new content
- Facebook Videos: This library can be used to schedule video posts on Facebook. Top Bloggers, in general, create & publish How-to or Explainer Videos on Facebook to increase engagement and traffic to their blogs.
Instagram: High-res photos, quotes, Stories
Instagrammers prefer to post high-quality images and videos on their feed. After High-res images, Motivational and Inspirational Quotes are one of the most popular content types on Instagram.
Instagram Stories can be used in many ways including:
- Share how-to tutorials
- Promote a blog post
- Share a list
- Announce limited time offers and promotions
- Offer giveaways and discount coupons
Content Libraries for Instagram:
- High-res Photos: You can now find free HD photos for your Instagram feed right from your RecurPost Account. When you click on Search for an Image a window opens up that lets you search for copyright-free beautiful images that you can add to your post right away. Isn’t that amazing?
- Quotes: Use free design tools like Canva to create the best quotes which support your brand mission. You can also include third-party images in the library but do not forget to mention them in the caption while adding the content to the library.
- Culture Showcase: Share your company culture or share your daily updates (If you’re a solo blogger) using this library. Include your employees, office ambience, coffee-moments, pet-time, birthdays, events, and all other beautiful work experiences.
Twitter: News, blog posts, and GIFs
According to a survey of over 3,000 people by the American Press Institute, 40 percent use Twitter to find out about breaking news; 39 percent to keep up with news in general.
This makes it a great platform for sharing news relevant to your followers. Twitter is also a great place to share your blog posts and curate high-quality, relevant content. Twitter is also the platform which made GIFs trending. GIFs are still very popular on Twitter today.
Content Libraries for Twitter:
- News: Share news from your blog or any other relevant news using RSS feeds in RecurPost. Do not forget to mention the source in case of third-party news.
- Blog Posts: You can have the same libraries for sharing blogs on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Memes and GIFs: This is a must needed library for bloggers. You can include relevant GIFs or Memes from GIFs search option while adding content to your library.
LinkedIn: Jobs, company news, and professional content/blogs
With LinkedIn being a professional networking platform, the most suitable content for LinkedIn is job listings, career information, company news, and professional blogs.
LinkedIn is used by the audience to enhance their career opportunities hence, you should keep this in mind while creating content for your target audience.
Content Libraries for LinkedIn
- Jobs and Career Opportunities: If you’ve got a high attrition rate, this library will be a savior for your HR team. Create a list of common job opportunities and schedule it (see next section) according to your needs.
- Company News: Use this library to share Company News (You can also make one-time use libraries for this purpose).
- Blogs: Use the same library as used for Facebook and Twitter.
If you are worries about the time it will take you to have a consistent presence on LinkedIn, check out our LinkedIn post scheduler to automate the process one hundred percent.
Pinterest: High-res photos, Infographics, and step-by-step photo guides
Pinterest is a very visual social media platform. So images are the best thing to post on Pinterest. But on Pinterest, Image is used as visual explainers of a concept, process or project. The most popular topics on Pinterest includes DIY and craft, home decor, food and drinks, and design.
Content Libraries for Pinterest:
- Infographics: Use Canva or Visme to create Infographics to provide a visual explanation to your blog posts. Check out this Infographic.
- High-res photos: You can use the same library as used for Instagram.
Quick Tip: Use our exclusive Hashtags plugin to generate relevant and trending hashtags for your content library. Learn how to use Hashtags plugin in RecurPost.
Repost old blogs to generate traffic from social media
Now that you have all your content libraries ready, the next step is to create a schedule for these content libraries using RecurPost.
We have a created a brief guide on How to schedule libraries in RecurPost to help you publish your content on various Social Media Platforms months in advance.
The RecurPost algorithm works in your favor by identifying the best time to post your content, making it among the top free Hootsuite Alternatives. This way, you can generate maximum engagement for all your posts on Social Media. You can create one-time posts or recurring updates using RecurPost’s social media scheduler. Additionally, you can efficiently perform social media bulk scheduling and upload or create posts, making RecurPost one of the best Socialoomph Alternatives.
RecurPost also allows you to make any last-moment changes by sharing Editorial Calendar daily with you to your mailbox and RecurPost dashboard. It looks something like this:
You can make any required change in the post or reschedule/cancel the update according to your preference. Here is a detailed guide on RecurPost Editorial Calendar.
Quick Tip: Make sure you have set your timezone in the settings. Learn how to do it.
Analyze user behavior, identify best-performing content, optimize and repeat
All your efforts go in vain if you do not analyze your results and optimize your libraries for increased engagement. Social Media Analytics is one of the most important parts of this whole process because it helps you identify your best and worst-performing content on different Social Media Platforms. Most marketers from Twitter or other social media platforms now understand the need for analytical tools to measure their efforts.
You can analyze individual posts or entire content libraries using our RecurPost Reports – A complete Social Media Analytics Dashboard for all your Social Media Platforms in one place.
This is how your Reports Dashboard looks like
This graph gives you an overview of how your content since it has been added to the respective content library.
Engagement by Library
This table helps you identify the library that is generating most engagement for you. You can check how many likes, comments, follows, or retweets your content got.
Top 5 posts
This helps you identify your top 5 posts on each Social Media Platform today, yesterday, last week, or last month.
What you can do with all this information?
Sharing your blog content on social media is an art. There is no right or wrong way to do it. Bloggers generate traffic on their blog content in their own unique ways. Some will share only their blog links on social media. Others will share a high percentage of unique content on social media.
As is with most things in life, sometimes the best approach is somewhere in the middle. Follow the strategies in this guide. You should be able to build sustainable traffic from social media to your blog or to the Christmas marketing campaign ideas. Over time, you’ll learn how to adapt the strategy to fit your unique blog and business.
Debbie Moran is a Digital marketing strategist with 5+ years of experience producing advertising for brands and helping leaders showcase their brand to the correct audience. She has been a part of RecurPost since 2019 and handles all the activities required to grow our brand’s online presence.